GnuWin32 – provides ports of tools with a GNU or similar open source license, to modern MS-Windows (Microsoft Windows 2000 / XP / 2003 / Vista / 2008 / 7).
The GnuWin project provides Win32-versions of GNU tools, or tools with a similar open source licence. The ports are native ports, that is they rely only on libraries provided with any standard 32-bits MS-Windows operating system, such as MS-Windows 95 / 98 / ME / NT / 2000 / XP / 2003 / Vista. Unlike CygWin or Msys, native ports do not rely on some kind of Unix emulation, so that there is no need to install additional emulation libraries. At present, all developments have been done under MS-Windows-XP, using the Mingw port of the GNU C and C++ (GCC) compilers. Utilities and libraries provided by GnuWin, are used and distributed with packages such as GNU Emacs and KDE-Windows.
The packages that have been ported, fall into four broad categories:
– GNU utilities: bc, bison, chess, compface, cpio, coreutils (fileutils, sh-utils, stat, textutils), diffutils, doschk, ed, findutils, flex, gawk, gdbm, gcal, gengetopt, gettext, gperf, grep, groff, gsl, gzip, hello, help2man, iconv, jwhois, less, m4, miscfiles, patch, readline, regex, rx, sed, sharutils, tar, texinfo, tree, units, unrtf, wget, which
– Archivers and compressors: arc, arj, bsdtar, bzip2, gzip, lha, libarchive, unzip / zip, zlib
– Other utilities: byacc, cpuid, cygutils, file, ntfsprogs, openssl, pcre, popt, re2c, rpl, sgrep, tree, x86info
– Graphics packages: asciichart, compface, gd, jpeg, jbigkit, liburt, libungif, libpng and png utilities, libwmf, netpbm, piechart, plotutils, tiff, xpm, zimg
– Textprocessing- and postscript-related packages: a2ps, barcode, bm2font, deroff, dvidj, enscript, freetype, grap, gri, groff, indent, libxml, nenscript, pdflib, polyglotman, psutils, scribe2latex, src-highlite, t1lib, t1utils, troff2latex, ttf2pt1, unrtf
– Mathematical and statistical packages: bc, calc, crypt, fdlibm, gsl, units