Altirra – an 8-bit Atari emulator created from scratch. Altirra is designed to emulate the actual Atari hardware as closely as possible. Its compatibility has been increasing over time, and at this point it should run most software correctly. However, there can still be problems, some of which may be emulation bugs, and some of which are related to hardware emulation settings.
Altirra is designed with emulation quality in mind, sometimes over speed and polish. It’s designed as a system emulator and debugger instead of a games machine, so there is some setup involved.
– Emulates the Atari 400/800, 1200XL, 600/800XL, 130XE, XEGS, and 5200 systems.
– Full, cycle-exact emulation of all documented hardware features.
– Best-in-class emulation accuracy of undocumented hardware behavior, including undocumented 6502 instructions, precise DMA timing, mid-screen register changes, hardware bugs, and cycle-precise timer IRQs.
– Support for most popular 8-bit image file formats: ATR, ATX, ATZ, DCM, XFD, PRO, ARC, BAS, ROM, BIN, A52, CAS, SAP.
– Contains reimplemented versions of OS, BASIC, and handler ROMs to run 8-bit software with high compatibility without needing Atari ROMs.
– Emulation of over three decades of hardware expansions, including memory expansions, cartridge expansions, Parallel Bus Interface (PBI) devices, modems, and 65C02/65C816 accelerators.
– Accurate emulation of multiple disk drive types with options for accelerated disk loads, realistic disk timing, drive sounds, and full drive CPU emulation.
– Flexible display with Direct3D 9/11 acceleration, aspect ratio options, easy resizing, and artifacting support.
– Audio and video recording, cheat trainer, DOS disk explorer with drag-and-drop, and text mode copy/paste.
– Powerful debugger with label decoding, source-level stepping, conditional breakpoints/tracepoints, watchpoints, execution history with loop/call/interrupt folding, and profiling.
– Native Windows UI with theme support, per-monitor high DPI support, file associations, drag and drop, copy/paste, and DirectInput/XInput controllers.
– 32-bit (x86), 64-bit (x64), and ARM64 versions available.
It works on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, 11 or later, either 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64 or ARM64) (Windows RT not supported).