Airstrike – a 2d dogfighting game being slowly developed by various people around the net. It is not yet playable although there is an old version which may be a bit fun to try. We are developing the game using only freely available tools, and we try to do everything ourselves. The source code and the 3d models are released under the GPL licence.
Features include alpha blended raytraced graphics and accurate physics. We are working on making it fun to play; all help is welcome. The picture on the left is a part of a screenshot from the game.
– two player multiplay
– fairly good computer player for single player gaming
– game engine:
** sprite engine (floating point API, internally fixed point): freely rotating rigid body code; pixel perfect collisions; signaling
** realistic plane aerodynamics: wind according to object position + size
** ai can find enemies (long range + short range scanning)
** particle engine
– preliminary (positional) sound support
– console mode for setting game options
– damages and score keeping
– objects: planes + firing + bombs; bonus machine + bonus balloons; cannon + cannon balls; zeppelin + wreck; hot-air balloon; parachute man; hangar; birds
– all graphics are raytraced
– build system: automatic graphics generation from POV-models
– documentation: textual code descriptions; architecture diagram; man page
– windows version and rpm + deb packages
Airstrike is Copyright (C) 2001-2003 Ulf Ekström and contributors.
The program and most data files are released under the GPL.