Web site: icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/
Platform: Linux, OS X, Windows
License: GNU GPL
First release: 2002
DarkPlaces – a Quake modification built over the course of 6 years on and off experimenting, it got somewhat of an overhaul when the Quake engine source code was released, and I (the developer) began developing a custom OpenGL-only engine for it and other mods, which supports Windows WGL and Linux GLX, and has greatly improved graphics and image quality.
It can not easily be described, as it is simply an improved Quake, not a total conversion.
The realism of shell casings falling to the floor, much improved bullet impacts, 32bit color alpha blended explosions, blood flying everywhere and sticking to the walls…
Behind the scenes the code has changed a great deal, it was not content with the original QuakeC code, and it was greatly changed the engine while maintaining compatibility with normal quake modifications.
– Quake : -quake, this is active by default, gamedirs: id1
– Quake: Scourge of Armagon : -hipnotic or hipnotic in executable name or path, gamedirs: hipnotic, id1
– Quake: Dissolution of Eternity : -rogue or rogue in executable name or path, gamedirs: rogue, id1
– Nexuiz : -nexuiz or nexuiz in executable name or path, gamedirs: data
– Nehahra : -nehahra or nehahra in executable name or path, gamedirs: nehahra, id1
– GoodVsBad2 : -goodvsbad2 or gvb2 in executable name or path, gamedirs: rts
– BattleMech : -battlemech or battlemech in executable name or path, gamedirs: base
– PrydonGate : -prydon or prydon in executable name or path, gamedirs: prydon
DarkPlaces 20180908 beta1 source code 1.82MB.tar.xz